Friday, May 13, 2011

Meet.com : A Great Way to Find Zombie Fodder

I am signed up for Meetup.com, and all joking aside it can be a valuable resource for meeting people with similar interests.

Now that is out of the way, let us discuss my temptation to toy with the craziness that use this site. Meetup has some rather cracked out people using it. I find these groups as I get notifications their groups have been formed. At random intervals I get sent groups that supposedly match my interests (a very loose connection I should point out).

Today was a group devoting themselves to some modern prophet called Matraiya, and if enough people joined and made it through his "initiation" process and received his blessing, then Christ or some other biblical figure would come back and you get into heaven the rest of the suckers get left behind. Now, after I learned about cults and religion in Sociology during college, I can't help but have a long list of thoughts about how wrong this group is.

1. Initiation involves two things; lots of money if you are a guy, and cash and sexual favors if you are a woman.

2. Just like the Jehovah's witnesses, the date of the apocalypse will continually be moved back because either the group is too small or because their faith has impressed god and he wants them to continue their work. Name one time a cult hasn't believed their leader saying that.

3. Koolaid is a no no.

4. If it is a new group, I could get in on the bottom floor! (Per the wife)

5. I could twist Matraiya to be a zombie hunter. Imagine the power of cults and god driving the masses. A mob of unread vs. A mob living inspired by a cult master.

6. Enjoying the chills of #5.

7. Are their any zombie hunting cults or would I be the first?

8. How does a person place "Zombie Hunter" on a resume. Does that count as a people skill?

In either case, Meetup has a bunch of craziness. while I am tempted to toy with them, I will leave them to their own self destructive mannerisms. Comments are open for best cult ideas.

1 comment:

  1. Just like the Jehovah's witnesses, the date of the apocalypse will continually be moved back because either the group is too small or because their faith has impressed god and he wants them to continue their work. Name one time a cult hasn't believed their leader saying that.

    I don't think Jehovah's Witnesses have ever said that. They've simply said they were wrong. They misread scriptural prophesies, the most recent being 1975. Sort of like [my analogy, not theirs] one might misread a bus schedule. Only the Bible's one helluva bus schedule, with lots of room for misreading. But they've been burned a few times trying to do that and have given it up, instead maintaining the end is "just around the corner." Given the state of world events, is that notion really so laughable? Even Newsweek says it....only they leave God out of the picture.

    ReplyDelete