Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My Response to Zombie Movies

I do not care to watch Zombie films. At one point I was able to do so, but in the past few years that capacity has been lost to me.The tension and the fear are too much for me. That, and every zombie movie involves things jumping out at you suddenly and usually involve fair amounts of gore. My two least favorite cinematic techniques.

I am reminded of a night years ago when I was watching the first two resident Evil films in a row. One night of "lets get this over with" zombie action. I finished both films - I was a trooper. However I spent that night barricaded in my bedroom. I even had a crutch being used as a door jam against the door frame and the wall - to give me a few more moments to escape if the filthy beasts came and attacked. I even slept with my katana and waki-sashi on the floor next to the bed - just in case.

The few times I have tried watching these films with significant others - I always end up not wanting to cuddle. Because of course someone infected would want to cuddle and get near my neck. Look, EVERYONE, if I am having a paranoid day about zombies, leave my flipping neck alone. It is the one place that I do not want you near. I don't even want to touch anywhere else, but for the semblance of sanity I must. Also on a side note - thank you for those who have been sensitive about this.

Do I want to watch zombies in any form? Not particularly. I mean, it is not like my undead list precludes undead as a rule. Oh no. Vampires are ok. Mummies are fine. Skeletons do not frighten me. Ghosts are not an issue. Liches - well, depending on the type I will ave my concerns. It is just those damnable zombies that need to be erased.

2 comments:

  1. Never liked vampire OR zombie movies, even if they were Abbott/Costello or Hope/Crosby. They are just too creepy. Same reason I don't read HP Lovecraft stuff any more - just too creepy, in addition to entering the realm of possibility. Could there be some alternate, underground,frightening world which somehow connects to our own? Love Sci-Fi and fantasy, but Lovecraft is way too unnerving. Never liked blood and gore stuff, either. Just as Poe's "Pit and Pendulum" was more frightening because he didn't specify the menace, it is generally more frightening to allow the reader/viewer to choose his own personal worst possible fate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting ready for sleep now. That has been somewhat frightening at times in the past, but as long as Buddy Love is here to protect me, I can sleep without fear. Is it strange that a small dog can do that for me? I wouldn't choose to live in a world where that can't happen!

    ReplyDelete