Monday, March 28, 2011

Nerves

My nerves are calming down more today. I was actually able to walk to work without a panic attack as I neared corners and shrubs that were blocking my view.

Doing laundry this weekend was an exciting panic attack as I repeatedly went downstairs to check the wash. It was only strength of will alone that kept me from printing back to my door. My other half was nice to not laugh to my face, but she was laughing. Not like I could blame her, she deserves to occasionally laugh at my expense.

I am looking forward to not jumping at every small sound. I freak out at any unexpected noise still.

I am not doing this again.

1 comment:

  1. Please don't feel weird or guilty. In my old age, I don't get scared of vampires, etc., too often. Yet I've seen all those old movies: giant ants, roaches, snakes, etc. I don't think I would allow children to watch those. If they choose to do so once they are adults, so be it. But just as in Edgar Allan Poe's "Pit and the Pendulum," we can never be exactly certain what someone else's greatest fear is - that's why he left much of it to our own imaginations.
    What doesn't bother me may severely disturb someone else. I say, let's not try to frighten our kids with boogeymen, etc. "Stranger danger" is quite enough to deal with.

    I don't watch any of this stuff much any more. Stephen King is a brilliant writer, but that doesn't mean I must subject myself to his creative imagination at its most frightening. There is plenty in the so-called real world that is frightening enough. Do I really want to enter my subconscious fears?

    ReplyDelete